Thursday, January 24, 2013

30 in 30 Challenge: Days 22 and 23

Second post for today and I am all caught up on the challenge. This afternoon I went to the beach and painted two one-hour wave studies. The last one could use a bit more finishing as the light was starting to go and I was having a hard time seeing. I was rained on the whole time but no wind.  I was wearing many layers so I was warm. Here are the paintings for day 22 and day 23 also known as wave study 27 and 28!
©2013 R.L. Delight, Wave Study #27, 6"x8", oil on canvas
©2013 R.L. Delight, Wave Study #28 6"x8", oil on canvas
I had to take these after dark and there are still raindrops on them so the quality of the photos is not the best. These are one hour studies so not a lot of detail. The tide was going out and the weather was changing every minute from raining to raining harder.
On Wave study 27 I only saw that fan shaped wave happen once. There was a lot of cross waves at the time and the energy from one hit energy from an incoming wave right behind that swell. The effect was interesting and I tried to capture it. The shallow water was quite churned due to a lot of rocks just under the surface. I didn't quite get the correct effect of the cross-wave. The cross-waves had disappeared by the time I got to that part of the painting so I wasn't able to study the nuances enough. I continue to work on those cross-waves!
Wave study #28 tells a different story. The tide had receded quite a bit and the shallow water was flat and more glassy. More of the sky was reflected and the light was fading which made the colors a bit different from the previous one.
I had a lot of fun painting these even though it was wet. I came home and immediately started cooking a gourmet meal as I felt like celebrating. I have to get my gear dried out and ready for tomorrow.
Unfortunately for me my BestBrella plein air umbrella broke. The first brass screw in one of the extension poles came out a while ago when I was hit with a sudden gust of wind. The umbrella was wrenched right out of the pole and the screw with it. Today the screw on the other pole snapped clean off for no apparent reason. It seems to be a good umbrella but it might not be made for the kind of conditions I paint under. I will see to fixing it myself with something a bit more solid.
Finally, since I painted two paintings on the beach this afternoon I was paid in sand dollars by the ocean one per painting. Here is a picture of the ones I found right in my path. Again, not the best picture due to the hour and circumstances.
2 Sand dollars, paid in full.
I am now officially caught up, again, in the 30 in 30 challenge. I plan to paint two paintings tomorrow and two on Saturday so that I can take the weekend (Sun/Mon) off and not fall behind this close to the end.
Until tomorrow then!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...